We can’t stress the importance of this topic enough. Selecting the right home health care agency will be one of the most important decisions you make for either yourself or a loved one, and there are several considerations when evaluating caregivers.
Home Health Care Agencies
First, make a list of home health care providers in your area. Then review the questions below and ask the right questions that pertain to you and your family or loved ones.
- How long have they been in business- this is a fast growing industry and many companies are new, and may not know proper procedure. On the flip side, many qualified and experienced providers have set out on their own, and are fully capable of offering proper care, so always check senior managements experience.
- Ask the agency for information (brochures, etc.) prior to a visit and read up. To learn more, do an online search and read reviews, social media pages, and the like. Be discerning, because some of what you read could just be marketing. When reading reviews, pay attention to who the author is. It’s important to do your own due diligence prior to making a decision.
- Does the company log and document treatment of the care patients. it’s important for the patients, doctors and other caregivers to be kept apprised of the care that has been given and to what extent.
- What are the companies emergency plans if needed. Quick thinking and proper planning are paramount for keeping everyone safe. This includes emergency health, fire, flood and any other emergency where action on part of the care professional may be needed.
- Ask for references and make sure to contact them. This may be the number one action you can take. If you are unsure of what questions to ask, please feel free to contact us here at Arista for assistance in doing so.
- Whether you are hiring an agency for hospice care, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, private caregiver, etc., try to get as much information about the individual care providers as possible, including their experience and reputation.
Hopefully this gives you an idea of the direction to start when making your decision on selecting the right home health care provider.